Although location is posted as Kansas City, MO, there is some flexibility with location.
The Associate Director of Equine Technical Services is a proactive leader for the Animal Health business, is a member of the Cattle and Equine Technical Leadership Team (CETLT) and plays an important role in reinforcing and communicating the Cattle and Equine Business Unit strategy and position to the Equine industry. Additionally, the Associate Director of Equine Technical Services supports the execution of the Cattle and Equine strategy by working directly with the Group Director of Cattle and Equine Technical Services as well as the other CETLT members to ensure a common understanding of the Cattle and Equine Business Unit goals as well as promote a positive empowering team culture based on Zoetis Core Beliefs. The Associate Director of Equine Technical Services works with the Group Director of Cattle and Equine Technical Services, the Equine Senior Marketing Manager, the Equine Sales Team Leader, and the Regional Business Directors in ensuring that Technical Services are fully aligned in supporting Zoetis’s plan for meeting the needs of the various segments and customer groups within the Equine industry.
The Associate Director of Equine Technical Services seeks to develop internal relationships that promote alignment across functions, regions, and areas. The Associate Director of Equine Technical Services takes a proactive role to ensure alignment with Technical Services, Marketing, Sales, CDLCI, HR, and Learning teams when planning and executing programs and business activities (e.g., new product launches, training and development). As a leader within the U.S. Operation, the Associate Director of Equine Technical Services models and communicates the importance of conducting business in a manner consistent with Zoetis’s Core Beliefs. The Associate Director of Equine Technical Services actively strives to communicate with impact to ensure that key strategic messages to internal and external customers are understood and operationalized.
• Participates in the general management of the Cattle and Equine Technical Services Team and in the formulation of long-term Technical Services strategies and policies in support of the Cattle and Equine Business Unit.
• Has responsibility for the development and monitoring of personnel, capital, and operating expense budgets for the Equine Technical Services team.
• Establishes strong collaboration with the Regional Sales Directors, the Area Business Managers, Equine Specialists, Equine Senior Marketing Manager and R&D characterized by team spirit and ownership of cross-functional group responsibilities.
• Actively strives to improve the quality of communication with all in the region/business unit, Zoetis as a whole, and with external stakeholders.
• Communicates effectively within Zoetis to ensure alignment and helps drive the business. Communicates consistent messages regarding priorities, Zoetis policies, practices and strategy.
• Supports the Group Director of Cattle and Equine Technical Services in ensuring human capital efforts to recruit, develop and retain top talent for Zoetis.
• At least 60% of the time, champions, reinforces, and coaches members of the Equine Technical Services team on their roles and responsibilities.
• Manages the performance of direct reports including review of annual objectives, establishes performance standards and metrics, and oversees annual performance appraisals, performance improvement processes, and salary management.
• Insures that Individual Development Plans are in place for all direct reports and that they are monitored and revised as necessary to inusure ongoing development.
• Keeps abreast of pertinent industry/technical/competitive events/trends and recommends a plan of action to the Group Director of Cattle and Equine Technical Services.
• Builds and maintains relationships and influence with key Equine industry leaders including veterinarians, professional and breed associations (AAEP, AQHA, etc.), other Equine industry groups (Learn to Ride, etc.), academic personnel, and diagnostic laboratories.
• Participates, as required, on special projects and tactical implementation that aligns with key stakeholders to effectively position our products and portfolio (e.g., reviews sales material, particpates in new product launch teams, provides assistance and support to U.S. Vet Med Investigations and Product Support and others).
• Leads and manages change.
• Champions a customer-centric environment.
• Exhibits good judgment and decision making.
These qualifications, experiences, and skills are highly desirable; however, they do not preclude exceptions based on an individual’s performance history and demonstrated potential.
• Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree or equivalent
• Five (5) years post-doctoral experience in clinical practice, academia, research or industry
• Excellent communication, interpersonal and business management skills
• Proven leadership ability
• Supervisory experience
• Financial experience in budgetary management
• Proven record of accomplishments, demonstrating successful veterinarian practice management, and strategy execution experience
• Strong oral, written, and interpersonal communications skills
• Ability to interact with and influence Senior Management, peers, and other company colleagues
• Ability to exercise good judgment; make thoughtful and fair decisions based on relevant information
• Ability to travel extensively (70-80%) including some weekends to manage personnel and business activities