Executive Medical Director - Emergency Veterinarian
Papaya Veterinary Care
Location: Encinitas, California
Type: Full Time
Salary: $200,000.00 - $300,000.00
Internal Number: 003
Executive Medical Director- ER
Papaya Veterinary Care has a fresh approach to veterinary medicine. Papaya strives to accomplish this with:
· Intentionally designed veterinary experience that allows us to be more available for pet parents’ pets’ needs
· Brand new hospitals with state-of-the-art equipment that allows us to be adaptable in an ever-changing environment
· Rigorous recruiting process that fosters personable, affable, compassionate, resiliently rich team members
· Responsible teams focused on collaboration who can deliver high quality service and care
· Clearly defined career paths that develop strong leadership skills and collaborative teams
Papaya believes that when our team members thrive, they have the capacity to champion others’ success within our hospital and outside of it.
The Executive Medical Director is the key leader of each hospital and will partner with the Hospital Manager to grow and manage the practice. This position is for a start-up company, with 4 hospitals planned to open in 2023 in the Los Angeles and San Diego markets. This is a ground level opportunity to earn ownership equity by being an early leader, serving on the company’s Advisory Board and growing their home hospital. This start-up is aiming to make the industry's top veterinarians' business partners.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Spearhead recruiting, hiring, mentoring and development of hospital DVM staff for a 24 hour emergency hospital
· In addition to Leadership duties, the Medical Director will also be a practicing veterinarian
· Participate in new hospital opening training. Provide constructive feedback to improve future iterations
· Partner with Field Leadership to interview and select the Hospital Manager
· Support and partner with Hospital Manager in the recruiting, hiring, training and development of hospital staff
· Foster an environment of responsibility and resilience
· Participate in quarterly Advisory Board meetings
o Help determine preferred vendors
o Develop company-wide minimum medical standards
o Develop DVM training and development program
· Help roll out and provide timely feedback on company initiatives, tech developments and other programs that impact hospital operations
· Actively participate in Company Leadership training. Provide constructive feedback to improve future iterations
· Other duties as assigned
· Fosters a culture of friendly client service
· Engage with staff and clients in a friendly and approachable manner
· Develop and drive hospital standards of care
· In partnership with the Hospital Manager, develop and execute hospital strategic plan to achieve key growth targets
· In partnership with the Hospital Manager, manage expenses to meet budgetary goals
· In partnership with Hospital Manager develop hospital specific SOPs
· 401(K) match, 100% up to 4%
· DEA and Veterinary License reimbursement
· Professional Liability Insurance
· Medical, Dental and Vision benefits
· CE allowance
· Employer sponsored life insurance
· Paid time off
· Pet care discount
· Professional Development
· Equity Incentive Program
Employment is “At-Will”
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $200,000.00 - $300,000.00 per year
Paid time off
· Minimum of 6 years in practice
· Minimum of 3 years management experience with P&L responsibility
· Valid license to practice veterinary medicine in the state of California
· Minimum 3 years practicing emergency medicine
· Ability to mentor and train associate veterinarians in every facet of their job
· Willing and able to work in an ever-changing environment
At Papaya Veterinary Care our "Why" is for the love of those who don't have a voice. Naturally, our pets are the first to come to mind when we think of those without a voice. At Papaya, we believe this should include pet parents and veterinary professionals looking for more.
Through decades of consolidation, the veterinary industry has reduced the rate of veterinarian ownership. At Papaya, we are shifting the tides by offering ownership equity in the whole company (not just an individual hospital) to our early hospital leaders in a position we call the Executive Medical Director (EMD). Together, we will build a company that invests in their employees' growth and development, allowing for more influence on how the company is shaped.
With over 20 years in the veterinary industry, I have had the opportunity to amass a broad range of experience across various platforms. From consolidators to de-novo models and start-ups to established companies, I have worked with hundreds of hospitals across multiple spectrums. While every practice is unique, patterns emerge in those that are continuously and sustainably successful year after year.
At Papaya, we will use the tools prove...n to work in increasing earning potential for employees, improve quality and access to care for pets, provide job satisfaction, and enrichment for staff while creating a network of support in an often-siloed environment. We plan to do this by:
Extending ownership equity to our EMDs - No up-front capital required
By making veterinarians equity partners in the organization, we will be making this a true partnership. Rather than making business decisions separate from the medical team, we will work together to align our individual success with the team's success.
Investing in employee development
Most organizations provide leadership training of some type. Our program will go beyond the basic training and expand into learning how to scale a business, how to intentionally manage culture, client communication tools, and how to mentor the team.
Since we are a small organization, we have the chance to give more individualized attention to our early team, allowing them to grow into future leaders who will then develop the next generation of Papaya hospitals.
Our employee development plans do not stop with the veterinarian. We know every member of the team is important, which is why we will invest in advanced clinical training even for the experienced professionals.
Provide an operational tool kit that has a history of proven success
We build out the administrative processes which makes opening a new hospital less daunting for a private practitioner.
For the veterinarian who has contemplated ownership but has been fearful of taking the financial risk, has worried about how to proceed forward with limited resources, and has lacked support, Papaya Veterinary Care is the place for you.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org